The three most important things to update when you have changed your name are -

- HM Passport Office ( Update your Passport )
- DVLA ( Update your Driving License )
- Bank / Building Society

Changing the name on your Passport is a priority whether you change your name by Deed Poll or by one of the following -

-  Marriage
-  Separation
-  Divorce
-  Dissolution of a Civil Partnership

In any of the above Scenarios your will need to Apply for a new Passport.

Please Note: This means that your Current passport will be cancelled and cannot be used. When you apply for a New Passport you have to send it along with your application.

What if my current Passport hasn't expired?

If you current passport hasn't expired and you are worried about losing any existing time left on your passport you can put your mind at ease. As the HM Passport Office will Credit up to and Extra 9 months towards the unexpired time from your Old Passport onto your New Passport.

Are there Different ways I can Change the Name on my Passport?

Yes there are many different ways in which you can Change your name on your Passport, further details can be seen in the following list -

1. By Deed Poll ( Change of Name Deed )

a. If you are making any other changes to your name, in ways that are not listed in any of the methods below, you will need to provide a Deed Poll as evidence that you have changed your name.

2. Civil Partnership

a. If you are using the Traditional method of taking your Partners surname or using a Double Barrelled name including that of your Partner, then the HM Passport office will accept your Civil Partnership certificate as legally binding evidence that you have changed your name.

3. After Divorce

a. IF you are Divorced from your previous partner  and are looking to revert your name from your married name to your maiden name, then you can use your Decree Absolute as evidence for your change of name.

4. Dissolution of a Civil Partnership

a. Once you have separated from your partner, you can revert to your former name. The only document you will need to prove this is your Dissolution Certificate.

5. Marriage

a. The HM Passport office will only need your Marriage Certificate as documented evidence that your Surname or Double-Barrelled surname has been changed